Whilst the majority of individuals do gamble within their means, for some, gambling can become a problem. As part of our commitment to promoting socially responsible gambling, the following guidance is provided.
Potential indicators of a problem
- Viewing gambling as a way of making money, rather than entertainment
- Chasing losses or gambling to try and get out of financial trouble
- Spending more money and time on gambling than you can afford
- Finding it hard to manage or stop gambling
- Finding that gambling makes you feel anxious, worried, guilty, depressed or irritable
- Finding that gambling takes priority over work, family or personal needs and responsibilities or usual activities or hobbies
- Borrowing money, selling possessions or failing to pay bills in order to fund gambling
- Lying about gambling or hiding it from other people
- Arguing with family or friends about money and gambling
- More information about the signs of problem gambling can be found on the Gambleaware and GamCare websites.
Steps which can be taken if you are concerned that you or a loved one may have a gambling problem
- If you are concerned that gambling may have taken over your own or someone else's life, then then please contact a service such as www.begambleaware.org, GamCare, or call the national gambling helpline on 0808 8020 133.
- A list of organisations which provide help and advice is available at the Gambling Commission website.
- If you want to have a break from gambling with PPL, you can use our Self-Exclusion option . If you are considering self-exclusion, you may wish to register with GAMSTOP as well. GAMSTOP is a free service that enables you to self-exclude from certain types of online gambling companies licensed in Great Britain. People's Postcode Lottery is not specifically covered by this service (as People's Postcode Lottery does not manage instant win lotteries), so GAMSTOP is not a replacement for self-excluding with us directly. However, if you wish to self-exclude from a range of other gambling organisations, GAMSTOP may be helpful. To find out more and to sign up with GAMSTOP, please visit www.gamstop.co.uk.
- You may find it helpful to keep track of the time and amount spent gambling.
- There are a number of third party software that can be used to restrict access to gambling sites on your PC, laptop or mobile devices. A list of these can be found at https://www.gamcare.org.uk/self-help/blocking-software/.
Postcode Lottery Limited is incorporated in England and Wales and is licensed and regulated by the Gambling Commission (licence numbers 000-000829-N-102511 and 000-000829-R-102513). See licence status here.