AfriKids believes in the rights of all children, everywhere, and that they should be valued, protected and respected by all.
AfriKids exists to make this the reality for children in northern Ghana, where more than half of all families live in poverty and one in ten children die before their fifth birthday. AfriKids is changing this by addressing three of the most critical issues they face: education, health and child protection.
The work of AfriKids was begun by local people in Ghana, doing what they could to help children in their communities. A friendship with a UK visitor sparked a partnership that is now changing hundreds of thousands of lives every year.
With AfriKids' help, thousands of children have been helped off the streets, out of child labour, rescued from trafficking and saved from abuse, neglect and even death as a result of traditional beliefs and practices.
Instead they have enrolled in school, completed a primary education, their families have been supported to lift themselves out of poverty. Health services have been transformed and harmful beliefs and practices have been dissolved.
AfriKids' simple approach of listening to local people and empowering them to make sustainable changes themselves is giving people the support to transform their own lives and communities to ensure all children are safe, healthy and in school - giving them the opportunity to escape poverty for good.
What makes AfriKids different is that all of their work is led by local people, for local people, using approaches that mean the changes they make will continue without ongoing support. AfriKids firmly believes in respecting the dignity of the people they support and in "saying no to pity". Their view is a refreshingly positive and colourful appreciation of the real Africa.
The support of players of People's Postcode Lottery is helping to
- keep children safe from abuse, neglect and exploitation, including ending child marriage and harmful beliefs in "spirit children",
- ensure vulnerable children can access basic healthcare,
- educate and empower communities to value and protect their children's rights,
- increase the number of children who access basic education, with a particular focus on the most marginalised groups including girls and children with disabilities,
- improve the quality of public basic education,
- increase the number of children who complete basic education by addressing the root causes of children dropping out of school, and
- increase the number of young people who progress to further education to improve their livelihood prospects.
Charlie Hay, Chief Executive of AfriKids, said, "AfriKids is empowering the next generation in northern Ghana to lead their communities out of poverty and into a brighter future for everyone. By securing the rights of children today, giving them a voice and supporting them to secure their own livelihoods when they grow up, we are breaking the cycle of poverty for tomorrow, and ultimately ending the need for support like ours.
"Support from players of People's Postcode Lottery will transform the lives of some of the poorest children and families in the world, providing the education, healthcare and protection we all need for a fulfilling and happy life."
Head office and contact info
21 Southampton Row