This year, thanks to vital support from players of People's Postcode Lottery, Oxfam GB has been able to respond to unprecedented emergencies all over the world. Funding has enabled rapid response teams to provide shelter for people impacted by the Beirut explosion in Lebanon and lobby against UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia, which are affecting the recovery of ten million people facing starvation in Yemen.
Oxfam GB is helping in the global fight against the spread of Coronavirus, reaching approximately 4 million people with life-saving assistance. Oxfam's government relations team are lobbying the UN to create an economic rescue package which would enable poor countries to provide cash grants to those who have lost their income and to support vulnerable, small businesses.
Thanks to our players:
- In Pakistan, Oxfam has installed water tanks at quarantine centres so people there have a clean water supply.
- In Lebanon, a public health awareness campaign is underway in informal settlements of refugees. This includes preparing extra toilets, handwashing facilities and water tanks for families who may need to self-quarantine.
- In China, staff have been working with local partners to help those at the greatest risk of catching the virus in poor communities, by distributing protective supplies and food to vulnerable groups (such as impoverished people with HIV/AIDS, migrant families, cleaning workers, low income workers and domestic helpers).
- In Gaza, beds, handwashing facilities and protective clothing are available in quarantine centres.
- In Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh, the largest refugee settlement in the world, humanitarian staff are distributing soap and building handwashing stations to support 70,000 people.
Despite lockdowns and global uncertainty, Oxfam GB is keeping up the fight against climate change, which affects the world's poorest people disproportionately. In the UK, 13 million items of clothing end up in the UK landfill every week, 95% of which could be reused or recycled. If you would like to support Oxfam GB from your home or local high street this September, join the second-hand movement aiming to reduce the impact that fast fashion has on the planet and on garment workers.
You might want to pledge to only buying second hand for the whole month - or longer - or create your own pledge for more sustainable choices. This week there is an exclusive 14% discount to celebrate the 14,000 tonnes of clothing diverted from landfill each year being donated to Oxfam.
The voucher code 14OFF will be valid on Oxfam's Online Shop between 29th August and 30th September. Share your second-hand pledge using #SecondHandSeptember and tagging @OxfamGB to join the 62,000 people who have already pledged to change their buying habits for the better.
Would you like to hear more about the charities supported by our players? Check out the fantastic causes they've raised over £600 Million for so far.